"Freedom of speech is words that they will bend, Freedom with their exception...."

Monday, February 07, 2005

Stupidity and Selfishness Run Amok

Allow me to introduce you to the new face of stupidity and selfishness, or as I like to call him, my brother-in-law. This is a man who was lucky enough to nab my sister for a wife. No man will find a more devoted soul than her. Together, they have a 16 month old son who defines love, life and absolute perfection in a toddler's body. So, you would think a man this lucky would be appreciative. You would think this is a man who got what he deserved out of family life. Well if you think that you are wrong on both counts.

Ironically, my brother-in-law has a very unselfish profession, he is a firefighter. That's just about where his unselfishness starts and stops. When he gets home, it's a different matter altogether. Let me just say that this is a man who's stupidity and selfishness holds no barriers or limitations, but today, I will focus on one particular example of his stupidity and selfishness.

A few days ago he received the results from his physical exam. There are two red flags in his physical: the first being that he is a candidate for emphysema. If he does not stop smoking he will have severe lung problems in the next 5-10 years. The second red flag was a high iron count. What causes a high iron count? I'm glad you asked! Too much alcohol consumption. Basically he needs to stop drinking or his liver and other organs are in jeopardy.

My brother-in-law just turned 38. Like I said earlier, he is the father of my 16 month old nephew. When my sister discussed smoking, drinking and possible health problems with him, he let her speak her mind and then proceeded to tell her he will not quit smoking or drinking. Hello asshole!

Last night was Super Bowl Sunday. He sat on the sofa, alone, watching the game and drinking his beer and smoking his cigarettes. This is a man who feels he needs to drink and smoke. This is a man who would rather skimp on what he buys his wife and child so he can have money for cigarettes and beer. Basically, his selfishness may kill him at an early age and leave my sister a young widow and my nephew without a Dad at an early age.

How can you be the father of any child, let alone such a small one, or someone's husband, someone's loved one in general, and not give a shit about being around for them? How can you have so much to live for, and not care to live?



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home