"Freedom of speech is words that they will bend, Freedom with their exception...."

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Moved In!

Time flies doesn’t it? My last Blog was posted a few hours before my move to The Bronx. Since then so much has happened. Anyone who has moved knows how hectic it can be, just getting settled in, and that is where 95% of my energy has gone in the last three weeks. Yes, three weeks. November 12 was our third Saturday there (including the move day). It is hard to believe. Anthony and I feel as if we have been there longer. We concluded this is due to the fact that we have had so many things to do since we got there: unpacking, furniture shopping, general shopping, errands, etc.

I’m going to try and tell the condensed version of the last three weeks.

Anthony’s antique armoire broke right outside of his parent’s house. My 6-drawer dresser broker right outside of the new apartment. Thank you IKEA! (*ad sarcasm*) I was aggravated because I had a 5-drawer dresser and armoire waiting for me in Manhattan (semi-new from a friend) and we have no way of picking it up.

The cats were in the back of the truck in their carriers and it was their longest ride yet. We kept them in their carriers (which we put in the den) while we emptied the truck. We didn’t want to have to worry about where the cats were while unloading our things. Once everything was moved into the apartment, it was time to let the cats out of their carriers. The kitten was un-phased by it all. I wish I could say the same thing for the boys. I think Tyler took a while to leave his carrier and when he did he hid under the sofa that is in the den (it is the red sofa from my old living room, so it is familiar to him). Poor Jeremy, who is always a good boy, wouldn’t budge out of the carrier. A while later I hear him meowing and as I walk in to den I smelled that all too familiar smell pet owners dread: someone shit somewhere in the den. Anthony and I looked everywhere but couldn’t locate the “housewarming gift” from the cats or cats. Sure enough, the smell was right where Jeremy was! The poor thing shit himself! I lifted him out of his carrier to find the evidence. Somehow he managed to not sit in it. I cleaned the carrier and comforted him. When I put him down, he hid in the bathroom.

That was October 29. Anthony and I had a four-day weekend because we took off Halloween and November 1 to get settled. We pretty much went non-stop from there. Poor Anthony got sick a few days after the move and was home for the week due to doctor’s orders. In between unpacking and cleaning the new place, filling the fridge, etc., Direct TV came and installed service. We also scrambled to get a new bedroom set. We had no choice: without the armoire and dresser, we were short on closet space and most of my clothes were still in boxes. The bedroom set came on Tuesday, November 8 (at 8:45PM to our dismay). Luckily I was off for Veteran’s Day, so I set that whole day aside finally got my clothes out of boxes and stored away in the dresser. We are done, for now.

We still need a dinette set and a bookcase for the den. On the “things we don’t need but want anyway list” are: a new entertainment center for the entertainment system in the living room, and a new desk for the computer. Anthony’s parents gave us their old living room set (they just bought a new sofa, etc. so it was good timing). The set is cozy and in good condition. We really like it. Come January a new living room is on our list too, but I do like the one we have now. In case you are wondering, I still have my living room furniture from Ovington Court. It is all in the den, where it will stay. We want the den to be a chill out/computer/reading room.

So that is pretty much it. That is what I have been doing, getting settled. It does feel all settled in now, all cozy like home. Well, it is home! The cats grew to love it after only a few days. I’m lucky that way, they adjust quickly.


I have to say, I do love the new digs. We have a brand new bathroom and kitchen, so everything is immaculate. The new carpeting in the living room and den (that Anthony and I picked out) looks awesome too. This past week was the start of us sitting back, relaxing, and enjoying it all. It really feels like home, sweet home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home